Tradition converted into commerce
Markets represent a very Mediterranean way of buying and selling. Vilafranca del Penedès has permanent food markets but also regular street markets offering a wide range of products.
The town has two municipal markets in the Sant Julià and Centre neighbourhoods, the Sant Salvador Market and the Meat Market (respectively), which offer local, quality products to people from different parts of the town.
Over the course of the year other traditional markets are also held in the streets and squares of Vilafranca:
- Vegetable Market, which you will find every working day of the year in the morning in the Plaça de Sant Joan
- Tuesday Market, a market with stalls of all kinds that is held in the streets of the Espirall neighbourhood in front of the old La Pelegrina market
- Crafts, Antiques and Paintings Market. On the second Sunday of each month, from October to May, on Rambla de Sant Francesc
- Roses and Books Market. During Sant Jordi day, on 23 April, on Rambla Sant Francesc
- Flower Market. For the All Saints holiday, on 30 and 31 October and 1 November in front of the cemetery (Plaça del Pedró)
- Santa Llúcia Fair and Epiphany (Three Kings) Market. The Santa Lllúcia Fair is held during the weeks leading up to Christmas at Plaça Penedès and the Epiphany (Three Kings) Market during the first days of the year on Rambla Nostra Senyora.